View Single Post
Old 03-26-2010, 07:35 PM   #7
Briand
Briand began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2books View Post
I noticed as a Canadian site, Kobo was applying the GST to book purchases. I also noticed that when I have been purchasing books from Books On Board that I have also been paying a 'transaction' fee. This transaction fee is close to what I pay for GST but still annoying.

As a Canadian I can't escape paying the GST or PST but I can choose where I buy my books. So most of the time I buy my books from sites that benefit me the most and not the Federal Government. About the only time I buy from Kobo is when I do have a coupon. It's a rather sad situation as I feel that I should be giving my business to a Canadian company. The only times I can think of that it would be to my benefit to buy from Kobo would be if the exchange on the US dollar was unusually high.
I don't want to sound like a flag-waver (we Cdns don't do that anyway) but that little bit of GST we pay on books helps fund our healthcare, roads, schools etc..nevermind the grants to arts and publishing groups in Canada....you might say a few pennies at an American retailer, but you are really hurting our economy and our entrepeneurs....is it really worth the savings of a few cents each book to do that?

Brian
Briand is offline   Reply With Quote