View Single Post
Old 03-22-2010, 10:27 PM   #40
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastan View Post
Your reasoning seems to be that there is already a ton of info "out there" so we may as well just give up and let them have the rest.
My position is a bit more nuanced than that, although this is partly correct.

I do believe that the information Amazon has access to is basically unimportant. Very little of it is even worth anyone's effort to data mine, except for something like network reliability stats.
I do believe it is highly unlikely to be abused by government agencies (or at least, no more than having a paper book with notes in the margins, found during a search of your property).
I do believe almost all of us are making far more critical information available on a regular basis, especially via email, cell phones, and the like.
If you're going to be careful about this, you really ought to be careful about a heck of a lot of things, because let's face it, this is actually pretty minor and obscure.
I do NOT regard these type of privacy concerns as "tin foil hat" territory. I'm only expressing that I am not concerned by this particular circumstance, or similar ones (e.g. Gmail, online backup services etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastan
Forget privacy? Forget (for U.S. residents) the 4th and 5th amendments? Forget the 1st amendment? (it won't mean a thing to have "free speech" if people become afraid to use it when everything is stored "in the cloud")
Just FYI, there isn't actually any explicit references to "privacy rights" in the US Constitution, it was more fabricated by the Supreme Court in a series of decisions. IIRC the EU has some explicit privacy rights and protections -- which, by the way, a) afaik extend to Amazon as they sell ebooks across the EU and b) therefore we can presume so far Amazon has not violated.

I also do not see this as some sort of slippery slope that will erode our rights as citizens.

You, uh, aren't going to pull a Glenn Beck now and cry on cue, are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastan
You (and others) see no cause for concern? There are legions of historical examples to prove you wrong. Your attitudes of It Can't Happen Here will serve the next purveyors of dystopia very well. I suspect you were a mere babe in 1984 so welcome to the Brave New World.
Uh, no.

I'm not going to reveal my age because that's none of yer danged business but I'm not 16. There's a tremendous difference between Amazon syncing data on their servers, and the NSA hooking into AT&T's routers.

If you don't want a Kindle because of privacy reasons, you have many options, and feel free to go for one (at the price of not getting wireless downloads, automatic backup of purchases and no multi-device syncs). But really, let's have a tad of perspective, and spare us the hyperbole.