View Single Post
Old 03-19-2010, 06:17 PM   #41
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clié; PRS-505; EZR Pocket Pro, PRS-600, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
So why is copyright so &@#$ SPECIAL??? It isn't I.P., per se, both Patent and Trademark require work to invoke and maintain. Just copyright. Because we all have to pay with the loss of our culture over time just so creative people can have an free I.P. lottery ticket? <Bleep> it, buy your own lottery tickets! You want copyright, then file the puppy! And of you don't file it, you lose it!
I like automatic coverage without need to register for some things (although I prefer them to have to be at least labeled); requiring formal registration before any protection kicks in is a great way for small artists to get screwed over by big companies. Big companies can file registrations of all their new works quarterly; authors who are midway through writing a novel can't get it registered until they're done (certainly can't afford to pay to register each chapter as it's finished)--and if the book gets stolen before then (or their computer gets borrowed & the files are released online) they lose their legal rights.

However, I'd love to see "everything [with a notice] is copyrighted for 10 years," followed by a mandatory registration to extend that. You get enough time to find out if it's financially valuable before you have to invest in it; corporations will register everything as a matter of course, and individuals will decide after graduation if their college research papers or film projects contained enough fascinating insights to bother keeping control over them.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote