View Single Post
Old 03-19-2010, 01:41 PM   #35
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clié; PRS-505; EZR Pocket Pro, PRS-600, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why do you believe that someone should have to pay to retain the rights to their own property?
What rights? When you make a bookshelf, and sell it, you retain no rights about its use. It can be copied by anyone who wants to go to the effort to do so. If I paint my house white with blue trim and green accents, anyone else can copy my paint scheme. However, if I write an eight-word poem or epigraph, I can legally prevent anyone else from using it.

Written, musical, and flat-painted works are treated *differently* from other creative works. They're given a "property" right that doesn't exist for other works. Why shouldn't they have to pay to maintain it?
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote