View Single Post
Old 03-18-2010, 07:21 AM   #8
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over
Source: http://chicago.straightdope.com/sdc2010gutenberg.php
Some will argue for the wheel, admittedly a useful gadget, but come now. Five thousand years after the invention of the wheel we were still hauling manure in oxcarts. Fifty years after the invention of movable type we'd begun to depopulate the New World.

Not that the historical facts are funny but this way of stating it sure gave me an abrupt chuckle.

More to the point, I've noticed that excessive hyperbole seems to be growing in popularity year by year. Every time you turn around someone is proclaiming the "biggest" this or the "worst" that or the "storm of the century" or some other similarly over-blown bit of tripe. I doubt it will get any better considering how young people are being "educated" today.
It may be fun to give completely urelated historical facts together, giving only the distance in time between them...

Fifty years after the first ever recorded whiskey consumption by catholic monks in Ireland, Gutenberg invented movable type and started to print the Bible.

Fifty years after an unexplicable astrological event observed in Piacenza, Italy, the U.S. of A. stated their Declaration of Independence

Just nine years after Denmark won the European Football Championship, terrorists stroke the Twin Towers....

Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote