View Single Post
Old 03-12-2010, 11:03 AM   #7
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
Source: http://chicago.straightdope.com/sdc2010gutenberg.php
Some will argue for the wheel, admittedly a useful gadget, but come now. Five thousand years after the invention of the wheel we were still hauling manure in oxcarts. Fifty years after the invention of movable type we'd begun to depopulate the New World.

Not that the historical facts are funny but this way of stating it sure gave me an abrupt chuckle.

More to the point, I've noticed that excessive hyperbole seems to be growing in popularity year by year. Every time you turn around someone is proclaiming the "biggest" this or the "worst" that or the "storm of the century" or some other similarly over-blown bit of tripe. I doubt it will get any better considering how young people are being "educated" today.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote