View Single Post
Old 03-05-2010, 05:48 PM   #15
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Is the firmware better?
I do not want to start a flamewar ...
Disclaimer: I do not own Cybook, I have never used one.

PocketBook does have a few features that Cybook does not have.
It has on-screen keyboard. It can delete, copy, move a file, it can create a directory. You can make notes, it has support for dictionaries. User generated dictionaries. I have some 15 dictionaries on my machine. It does support fonts, and not only ttf, but also ttc, otf, and other vector types. EVERYTHING is customizable. Yes, even keys are mappable to any function. You can also install custom themes (defining icons, graphical main menu and layout of menus) and even third party programs. PocketBook company supports development of third party applications and supplies an SDK and prizes for best programs. There are about 50 third-party applications available at the moment, including Linux terminal, scientific calculator, lots of games ... There are several versions of third party reading applications - FBReader - that implement various very interesting features.

HarryT is owner of Cybook and also PocketBook and he says that he prefers PocketBook.

HarryT says that the epub reading application from Adobe is implemented better on Cybook.
But on PocketBook you can open epubs in fbreader, and there you can configure almost everything. Margins, font type, font size (in unlimited range with step 1 point), line spacing, hyphenation (switch on/off or fine tune how long is the word that can be hyphenated), you can fine-tune all styles, you can switch off status line. Fbreader does not display page numbers in margins in epubs.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote