Facilitate launching of calibre and related tools with different start parameters.
Side effects :
Multiple libraries, Integration in Windows 7 using Jumplist feature, Easy of launching and grouping calibre related links
Calibre eBook Management Software, Windows 7, Hedgehog’s JumplistLauncher
(Download 476.6 KB
), (Administrator Privileges may be required based on the location of the installation of the launcher)
Only runs on Windows 7
Setting Up Icons:
Setting up Jumplist items:
- Open Explorer with Ctrl+Shift to start it in Admin mode and Navigate to calibre’s installation directory (usually C:\Program Files\Calibre2)
- Create a new folder and Extract JumplistLauncher e.g. C:\Program Files\Calibre2\Jumplist (power user tip: can be anywhere, can have multiple installs)
- Right Click on JumplistLauncher.exe and select “Create Shortcut”. Select yes when asked to place on desktop. You can optionally cut-paste the shortcut back in the jumplist folder.
- Rename the shortcut to “Calibre E-Book Management”. Optionally change it’s Icon to use calibre’s. See tutorial to change icon here
- Right click the shortcut and select “Pin to Start Menu”
- Right click the shortcut and select “Pin to Taskbar” (drag the icon to your preferred location)
- The Icons should appear on you task bar as well as in start menu. Congratulations you are half done.
- Press Ctrl+Shift and Click on the new icon to start the JumplistLauncher interface in admin mode. (Don’t worry if yours is empty, We are going to create these links.)
- Add Items to the jump list
- Click the ‘Add File’ button to create a new item.
- Browse to calibre’s executable (C:\Program Files\Calibre2\calibre.exe) and press ‘Open’
- In the ‘Selected Entry’ field group you can specify the name of you choice. for e.g ‘Calibre’
- In the ‘Parameters’ field add command line configuration parameters.
- To launch calibre with another library location then default enter “--with-library <path>” where <path> is the path to that library e.g. "E:\Books" (the path must be in quotes. thanks to @Fith)
- To add a URL (for e.g. a friend’s content server) use a browser’s exe for the file and the URL for the parameter. For e.g. I used Firefox with is normally located at C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
- Add Calibre-server.exe to easily start your content server. see available params
- If you have a skydrive, network backup etc, you can specify it’s path for the library
- If you use the various modular executable in calibre’s directory, create batch files for common tasks and add them by creating a shortcut with the Run minimised option
- Optionally change the icon of the jump list item by pressing the icon button.
- Use the ‘Add Group’ button to great sections in the list. To edit a group’s name click on it in the list and it changes to a editable textbox.
- Selecting one of the checkboxes in the list makes it the default launch operation when clicking on the icons we added to the task bad and start menu. If none is selected then this configuration window opens up.
- Press the ‘Update Jumplist’ button to same you options and update the jump list without restarting the launcher.
- Exit the configuration window and you are done!
I hope this is a very helpful tutorial and will go a long way to utilizing calibre to its full potential. I will be create more posts and tutorials in the future so please send me feedback on my blog