View Single Post
Old 03-03-2010, 12:37 PM   #43
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns4Hire View Post
Just an FYI be careful (this has only happened once). Sigil 2 became unresponsive so I let it sit for 3/4 minutes waiting for it to become responsive, it didn't. I ended up forcing it to shut down and when I went back to continue working on the epub it was gone.
That's a deadlock situation. It's caused by a thread getting a lock on a resource and not unlocking it, and another thread waiting for it to become unlocked, and then everything grinds to a halt...

It happened a few times during development. Sigil is now very deeply multi-threaded, and bugs in the sync mechanisms can cause such a lock-up.

In general, with MT programming you can either have resources pre-emptively locked and then work through deadlock bugs, or unlocked and work through race conditions.

Since it's easy to detect a deadlock and bloody well near impossible to catch a race condition (let alone debug it), I went with option #1.

So when something like this happens, try to make it reproducible: a consistent sequence of steps that always evokes the bug. Then report it and I can quickly fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You may owe me a replacement flat panel.

My monitor may have strained some pixels rendering the page that quickly

That was some speed improvement.

Quote:
On another note: Tossing an idea into the pot.
I found that the book does not "Open" in tabs by default (not a bad)
You mean you want all the XHTML files opened in their tabs on load? That would be very, very slow. A large part of the speed increase comes from the fact that a flow is loaded only when needed, and then cached for future use even if you close the tab.

Quote:
But if you navigate away from the original tab, could the selection in the left column be made to "track" with the current tab position?
You mean you want the currently selected item in the Book Browser to change to match the tab to which a user switched?

What would be the use case for that? What does a user gain from this feature? I just don't see how would this be useful. You already know what file is loaded in your tab, the filename is in the tab title. The Book Browser should really be thought of as a "view" into the "filesystem" of your book. It's not conceptually connected to the tabs.

I also see that as violating the Law of Least Astonishment: I'm a user, and I have 5 tabs opened. I'm looking around in the BB for a file I want to open, and I instinctively single-click to select the one I want. I then realize I want to make a quick change in the opened tabs, switch around a bit, and then go back to BB. But wait, why is my file is no longer selected? Astonishment --> UI error.

It bears mentioning that no other "Book Browser like" pane (that I know of) changes the selected item to the currently open tab.

Last edited by Valloric; 03-03-2010 at 03:45 PM. Reason: typo
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote