View Single Post
Old 03-01-2010, 05:12 PM   #35
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
I always prefer curly quotes. In fact, there are certain fonts I avoid, even ones I really like otherwise (Palatino, KP Fonts), because the supposedly curly quotes aren't curly enough and easy to distinguish. But perhaps this is because I spend more time reading print books (or scans thereof) than material online, and it's easy to get distracted by what you're not used to.
This, I think, is a big part of the issue.

Curly quotes are definitely easier to read & understand in print, and things like e-ink that mimic print closely. They're not easier for everyone on a small screen; in a 320x320 PDA screen, curly quotes are twice as wide as straight quotes, and that's *valuable screen real estate* I don't want wasted on punctuation.

Then I got used to flat quotes. I knew the coding issue online had workarounds, but it was a rare problem, because most upload programs didn't acknowledge curly quotes unless the author specifically coded them in. (Today, there are a lot more wysiwyg interfaces, and I see curly quotes on text that was formatted in word and then pasted into a web box.)

I like curly quotes in ebooks--but I'd almost rather a whole book of straight quotes, than more than a couple of instances of curly quotes going the wrong direction. And if I'm not going to take the time to edit carefully, I'll generally leave them as straight when I convert for offline reading.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote