View Single Post
Old 02-27-2010, 02:47 PM   #8
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebartley View Post
What about bulk additions?
Bulk additions is what I desperately needed this option for. With the current design, Once an ebook entry is made, there's no way to update it or to add new formats to it.

I've completed making code changes for the perfect fix to make it do what I need. All that's left is to submit them, but, I have serious doubts they will be accepted.

When I wrote this post, I was thinking that I needed to change the default behavior. The reason I thought that was that I needed all the pulldown options for Add Books that Kovid already provided, but I needed them to operate differently and more automatically.

When Kovid suggested adding another pulldown choice to the Add Books list, it made sense to me (of course I was on post surgical pain meds and half out of my noodle at the time.) I later realized that I desperately needed drag and drop for bulk additions. So, instead of adding three more menu options, to duplicate Kovid's three, I opted for a checkbox option on the Preferences page. Option creep strikes again. That's reason 1 why this may not be accepted.

Reason 2 is that for bulk additions that allow drag/drop bulk updates of existing formats, I overwrite identical books with the same format. I want this function to allow easy update with better copies, but I can see others might choose this option, then scream when they lose their book by overwriting a good copy with a bad one. (I keep all original formats.)

The third concern is that I identify the "same" book by requiring an exact author match, but only a nearly exact title match (sort of a fuzzy match). I compare titles by ignoring case, any leading indefinite articles ("the", "a", "an"), changing underscores and periods to spaces and stripping punctuation. So for example:

"The Diary of a Madwoman" matches all these (and vice-a-versa):

"The Diary Of A Madwoman"
"Diary of a Madwoman"
"The_Diary_of_a_Madwoman"
"The Diary; of a Madwoman"
"the.diary.of.a.madwoman"

but not:
"The Diary Of Madwoman"
"The Diary of a Madwomen"
"Diaries of a Madwoman"
"Diary of a Madwoman, The"

This really helps with bulk updates, but it does make it slightly easier to overwrite a book by the same author. I think the risk is really low that a wrong book will be overwritten, but it's highly likely that the same format will be overwritten, so a bad format will displace a better format. I've added the best cautions I can think of in the option description and Tooltip, but .....

Default behavior is unchanged (checkbox is default off).

OK, that's enough. I've got it set the way I would want it written, and that's my first guide. I can comment that it's speeded up my bulk entry process by a factor of 10. Like the post I'm responding to, I screwed up my initial entry. I should have simultaneously entered all formats for each book, but I didn't. I entered all my txt formats first, since that was organized best and included a copy of almost all my books. The result, however, was that it made adding doing bulk additions of all my other formats nearly impossible. I've been trying to fix it manually for months. Now I can just drag and drop, and everything sorts correctly, with minor title differences being ignored.

If anyone has comments, before I submit it, feel free.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote