View Single Post
Old 02-25-2010, 09:00 PM   #68
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphinome View Post
Will this include things like probable cause, the whole deal with 4'th 5'th 6'th and 8'th amendment rights at least for people in the US of course?
It would have to. You have all those rights regardless of the type of crime you're being charged with.

The privacy stuff is easy to get around. Just like we have no expectation to privacy in public, we have no expectation to privacy with our internet actions.

They'll need a warrant to seize your computer to use as evidence, they don't to monitor file sharing sites and get IP addressed of illegal downloaders--or at least don't need a warrant specific to you. May need evidence the site is having illegal file traffic to get access to their records to get users IP addresses etc.

Quote:
Would a set royalty rate per book (as opposed to a percentage and perhaps indexed to inflation) be acceptable to you as you claim to want to help artists and let the rest of us rage against the abuses of big buisness without you calling us thieves for objecting to not having the savings in the cost of ebooks passed on to us?
I wouldn't have much issue with it--as long as ebook prices were the same or very close to print prices. I think people overestimate the cost savings. Especially for best sellers. The cost per book has to be pretty damn low for something shipping millions of copies. I'd be shocked if it was more than $1 a book or so.

E-books can be a tad cheaper probably, but there's no reason for them to be substantially cheaper--at least once DRM is gone.

I mean without DRM that e-book should be just as valuable to you as the print book--as if you preferred print books you wouldn't be buying the e-book.

The cost to print books isn't that much, and authors, editors etc. are doing the same amount of work and you're enjoying the book just as much. Prices should thus be about the same as the print versions in my mind.

But again, we're going in circles on this, my view is clear as is yours. I enjoy debating this stuff, but sometimes it's just time to agree to disagree and stop running in circles when neither person is going to change their mind.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote