View Single Post
Old 02-09-2010, 09:30 AM   #3
DrZoidberg
Connoisseur
DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Here's my two cents. Writers must read a lot. They must read books they enjoy so they can write the kind of books they enjoy to read. They must also read books from other genres to allow for cross pollination. I can't think of any fiction books that I'd regard as must reads. The only single titles that I think are a must read are non-fiction books on the art of writing:

The Elements of Style, by Strunk and White
(You gotta know your grammar)
On Writing, by Stephen King
(It's just excellent)
Eats Shoots & Leaves, by Truss
(A whole book on punctuation)

The below are good but optional:
How to Write a Damn Good Novel, by James N. Frey
(You got to know your stereotypes and genres)
Comedy Writing Secrets, by Mark Shatz
(When you dissect it, it dies, but necessary)
DrZoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote