View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010, 11:52 PM   #15
darron
Enthusiast
darron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with others

Device: Kindle DX
I'm going to be pretty busy in the near term... but is there anything that would help you guys out? I'm waiting on some stuff to happen before I release any plugin code. I'm also almost totally reworking the keyboard plugin to be easily portable to other platforms.

You seem to have the toolchain down (I assume, it's different than mine)

Does the hotkey stuff make sense?

There's something minor wrong with the e-ink plugin, I think... the sample project doesn't update the screen properly the very first time. I forced the background to change a few times to sort of hide that. If anyone's noticed problems with simple paintEvent() style QMainWindow classes that's the culprit. The current big ugly hack is to have a counter and force the background to change once or twice after the app first starts. Subwidgets on the main window don't seem to have this problem.

Just some quick notes/thoughts:

I'm installing apps in the /usr/local/Trolltech/apps folder. Maybe it should be something else besides "Trolltech", but that directory is required by the default QtEmbedded compile... so I just used that. (That path can be changed by command-line options to configure, but that looks long and possibly error-prone, so I didn't mess with it) My current system is for single-file apps to go in that folder directly, and for apps with data to have a single subdirectory there (for easy uninstalls).

QSettings is a great class to use for easily persisting state. I'm using the IniFormat of that, and putting app data in /mnt/us/system-kindleqt/etc.

The uninstall_qt package blows away -everything-, at the moment. It destroys /mnt/us/system-kindleqt and /usr/local/Trolltech, and pulls the /etc changes. The /mnt/us/system-kindleqt/etc folder may be better off in a location safe from deletion... but if they're removing this stuff for software update purposes I decided extreme prejudice was the way to go.
darron is offline   Reply With Quote