View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010, 08:15 PM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i love a lot of the classics and some recent ones as well : Marlowe, Nestor Burma, Nick Charles (from "the thin man" by Dashiell Hammett), Maigret, Miss Marple, Lord Peter Wimsey, Sam Spade, Dr. Gideon Fell, Philo Vance, and i'm liking Dr. Thorndyke so far... also M. Wens by S.A. Steeman, Donald Lam, Perry Mason, Fred Vargas' Inspector Adamsberg (although i wish she would give a bit more time to the "three evangelists" who have been sorely neglected for several years now), Elliot Finch, Morse, Thursday Next (does she count ?). i liked Toby Peters (by Stuart Kaminsky) when i read some of his books a few years ago, Lynley Thomas, Napoleon "Boney" Bonaparte by Arthur Upfield, Inspector Rebus from what i've read of him, and i'm planning to look into Harry Bosch and Spenser very soon. (and more who are escaping my memory, including an italian living in Venice, and 2 dutch ones working together...).

also, there is a new bookstore in my neighborhood, selling only mysteries ; i had a long conversation with the owner when i discovered it the other evening and came out with a book about Lincoln Perry and Joe Pritchard by Michael Koryta (in paper, alas), who according to him is on his way to being the new master of the genre. i haven't read it yet but it comes highly recommended by someone who knows what he's talking about, so i have high hopes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Jeffery Deavers' 'Lincoln Rhyme,' John Sandford's 'Lucas Davenport,' and Ian Rankin's 'Inspector Rebus.'

Oops! I forgot Faye Kellerman's wonderful pair, 'Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus.'

All these have long running series with on-going character developent, so if you like them, you can watch them evolve!

Stitchawl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andanzas View Post
Of course, the great classics, Philip Marlowe, Sam Spade, or the Continental Op. Among living writers, my favorite is Montalbano, the main character of Andrea Camilleri's mystery novels. He is a police inspector who lives in Sicily, the land of the Mafia. I bet everybody is going to recommend excellent sleuths from writers who write in English; Camilleri writes in Italian. Give him a chance, he is going to show you a different world.
/zelda thinks all these look great and adds them to her list of books to read.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote