View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010, 02:20 AM   #7
WT Sharpe
Grand Muckity-Muck
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Air, iPod Nano. Other devices gathering dust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
I will second this about comics. It is very common for events that occur in other comics to have an impact on the series that you are reading.

The scene with Crispus Allen (the corpse) was from "Infinite Crisis" and leads to him becoming the new Spectre. To get the full story you had to be a regular reader of monthly series "Gotham Central" (which provides the back story on who shot Allen and why) and also the four-issue miniseries "Day Of Vengeance." To the casual reader Allen becoming The Spectre was a surprise considering the setup in the other series (where it appeared to be so obvious who would become the new Spectre).

In the current DC big event, "The Blackest Night," besides the main miniseries you have to read both "Green Lantern" and "Green Lantern Corps" along as many miniseries which shows the impact of "The Blackest Night" on other characters (such as Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman). Added to this are many series "brought back from the dead" (such as "The Phantom Stranger" and "Catwoman" which had been cancelled) for a single issue.
That's largely why I stopped reading comics. When I was young, it was a standard thing for each comic to have at least three self-contained stories per issue. As the stories grew in sophistication and the number of pages per issue shrank, eventually it became standard to have one story per issue; with a particular interesting storyline being an event that might continue over two or even three issues. But now stories are all multi-issue, and can start in one series, continue in a second, move the action to a third, and trying to determine where they will end must vex even the gods. What person with any semblance of a life has the time to sort through such confusion? Of those who do, how many have the resources to buy all the various titles necessary to keep up? Personally, I think this marketing strategy, designed to get people hooked into more and more titles, has backfired and is responsible in large part for the decline in sales over the years.

The only new comics I read these days are titles such as Papercut's Tales of the Crypt series and an occasional self-contained graphic novel.
WT Sharpe is online now   Reply With Quote