View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 11:20 PM   #12
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
BTW I find it somewhat unlikely that Tor is blinded by money and short-term profits. Although they are owned by MacMillan, and like every other for-profit company don't want to be in the red, they're a small genre publisher, and clearly more interested in selling works they like than just "whatever they think will sell."
While I'm sure most of the people in the Tor division are fans of the genre and genuinely care about quality, they do have a strong business reason for not just publishing any old book that they think will sell enough to be profitable. They have a brand that has actual meaning to their customers in a way that most other publishers do not. People have an expectation of them, and not meeting it would dilute that successful brand. Maybe I'm jaded but I'm betting that's why MacMillan lets them keep functioning as they do.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote