View Single Post
Old 06-20-2007, 10:41 PM   #6
johnbrisbin
johnbrisbin began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
A fix just over the horizon...(maybe)

This may be old news or simply a support pacifier, but when I just asked a Sony telephone support person about this, he told me that the next software/firmware update due in mid July (07, I hope) would address some memory stick issues.

He was, understandably, unable to guarantee that this fix would be included.

When asked explicitly, he was unable to suggest any memory stick device from any manufacturer including Sony that could access more than 2GB in the Sony Reader, implying that the problem is not unknown and not manufacturer specific.

I am satisfied, at least for now. to wait for the update.

BTW, the usual reason that things fail at 2GB is because someone used a signed 32-bit number where they should have used an unsigned one. The reason that things fail at 4GB is that someone used a 32-bit number when they should have used a 64 (or at least 48) bit one.

Every OS has had these problems (particularly when there were no >2GB or >4GB devices to test with at the time the code was written and tested) but it is harder to justify the problem when the devices were available as of the last update and compatibility was claimed.

That is just a QA screwup.
johnbrisbin is offline   Reply With Quote