View Single Post
Old 06-17-2007, 02:06 AM   #1
Yaksha
Yaksha doesn't litterYaksha doesn't litterYaksha doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500
Ali, A. Y. & Pickthall, M. & Shakir, M. H.: Al-Qur'an. V1.0.

Here are three side by side English translations of the Koran (Al-Qur'an).

The translations are by Abdullah Yusuf Ali, Marmaduke Pickthall, and Mohammad Habib Shakir.

The text comes from Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/16955

The text didn't originally come out as nicely formatted as I would have liked. But by the time I realized this I was already committed to it. There are probably a lot of unnecessary hard returns. I tried to fix as many of the single-line translations (all three appear on the same line with no hard returns) but I probably missed a few. Most of the problems come with verses ended with commas, semicolons, dashes, etc. I guess BookDesigner wasn't really sure what to do (there was probably an easy fix for this that I don't know about)

It would take this:
Quote:
Y: And that it is He Who destroyed the (powerful) ancient 'Ad (people),

P: And that He destroyed the former (tribe of) A'ad,

S: And that He did destroy the Ad of old
And turn it into this:
Quote:

Y: And that it is He Who destroyed the (powerful) ancient 'Ad (people), P: And that He destroyed the former (tribe of) A'ad, S: And that He did destroy the Ad of old
I hope people will enjoy it, if anyone finds any errors in formatting, let me know and I'll try and do a move improved version later.

I wasn't sure how to do the "author" for the thread, so if any mod wants to change it, feel free.
Yaksha is offline   Reply With Quote