View Single Post
Old 06-15-2007, 07:35 PM   #77
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Okay, here's what I learned...

There are two good options that I see for setting up the pdf document that I was using (a tech book).

1) Portrait/PRS500
This works well, and you can read itsy bitsy print in portrait, or more likely you will hold down the size button until the Reader goes into landscape mode.

Advantage: Very straightforward and simple, and you use the Reader modes the way you are accustomed to.
Disadvantage: There was some extra margin on my document on the right side of pages, and you do have to put the Reader in landscape mode, which takes a little time to get out of.

2) Default/PRS500-L

Advantages: Easiest and best option, in my opinion, based on the one book. There really is some overlap when you do landscape this way, so you don't miss anything. It works great. It rotates the page to the right, so you can turn pages with your right thumb, and it really isn't bad having the cover opening in towards you.

Disadvantages: I think the pages may not be as evenly split as when you let the Reader break pages in half by itself.

But I don't think that it really matters about the page split. If you want the prettiest document, you probably want to read it on a laptop, not the Reader. What matters here is readability, and I #2 is actually the best option. At least for my test document.

Come on - surely there are others out there who are using PDFRead and can give us some tips on how to best make use of the program.

The best news is that you can likely just follow #1 and #2 and get great results for many pdf documents. And there are probably more ways to improve it also, but I like fast and easy! Thanks ashkulz!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote