View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010, 10:10 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2(WiFi) / FireHD; Kindle DX-G; Kobo-AuraHD,Glo,Mini; Ipad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Thanks, Don.
I hadn't come across this author before. But Ralph Sir Edward recommended him and had some electronic versions of books not available at PG which he let me convert. I'm rather enjoying them.
At one time, I was planning to do my doctoral work on him.

I have the limited/signed Storiesende edition, plus many, many numerous Kalki editions (that reflect many of Cabell's changes), plus a number of earlier works in first edition, and also an almost complete set of Kalki (a magazine edited by James Blish). These magazines were previously owned by Cabell's widow.

Currently, my 4 boxes of his work are still the U.S.

I also have two issues of "Cabell."

I would really like to see "Smirt," "Smith," and "Smire" worked into the Library, if anyone has easy and ready access to this trilogy. (Those were written under the name of "Branch Cabell.")

Cabell tried to incorporate all of his earlier fiction into the later Storiesende edition (into his cosmogology), and much of this earlier work, such as the "Rivet in Grandfather's Neck" is only cursorily interesting to the Cabell fanatic, of which I count myself as one.

The fantasy novel, "Something About Eve," is deliciously wicked and great fun to read.

At one time, Cabell was studied and there was a mini-revival of his work after Lin Carter (and James Blish) brought his work to the attention of the interested public. Academic interest (of a sort) followed, but it did not really move forward much (in my opinion). Today - unfortunately - he is a neglected writer who is best remembered within the niche of Fantasy/Sci-Fi cognoscenti.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-18-2010 at 10:55 AM.
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote