View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010, 09:39 AM   #13
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by osama_jamal View Post
Guys Engadget says that the screen will be a 9-inch Sipix panel with 1,024 x 768 pixel resolution pushing 16-levels of gray just like the Jinke reader unveiled at CES.

I'm not sure though if Sipix is a reflective screen. Is it?
Yeah SiPix is very similar to E-Ink. They're both EPDs (electrophoretic displays), and operate on the same general principles. SiPix has some advantages in thinness and durability, though it is visually a little inferior to E-Ink (lower white reflectance in particular, making the screen a little more gray. The numbers I see are ~30% for SiPix, ~40% for E-Ink)

Here's a video that shows a reader that uses a SiPix Microcup EPD screen:

After 2 minutes you'll see the display in action, and you'll notice it's slow, just like most E-Ink devices. Demonstrators love to re-tap and re-swipe to try to conceal the lack of responsiveness in a device. To be fair though, that's likely the processor and software. Personally I think their huge demonstration "reading" text is hilarious.

Last edited by LDBoblo; 01-18-2010 at 10:00 AM.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote