View Single Post
Old 01-15-2010, 05:29 PM   #7
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
I've lost count of the 6" clones, and I don't care. The size is too small for immersive reading and the screen is basically the same old thing with marginal contrast, that I am getting tired of.
*shrug*

I concur there isn't much variation; after all, the current crop pretty much use the same screens with some minor variations. 6" grayscale is definitely limited.

That said, I have no problem getting "immersed" in a book on a 6" reader and no problems with contrast. It also makes for a highly portable size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist
Methinks, until you have color, and good color at that, and large enough sizes to have a hardcover experience, and to be able to read larger format, complex layout publications, ereaders will remain a niche product.
Again, *shrug*

Color epaper is a long way off. Larger tablets available in the interim will be power-hungry and heavy; even Pixel Qi apparently does not have particularly good color or battery life.

Dedicated readers will be a niche product anyway. That isn't a problem, unless you try to twist the dedicated device into being a multifunction device (e.g. the Entourage Edge discussed in the article) -- a very different process than building a multipurpose device from the ground up. And even then, the multipurpose device will have its own set of compromises, and will work well for some uses but won't be good for others.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote