View Single Post
Old 01-05-2010, 09:24 AM   #6
WillAdams
Guru
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Fujitsu Stylistic ST-4121
I've been using pen computers since the NCR-3125 and when using my current Fujitsu Stylistic have the following issues:

- lack of a Miller column browser view in Windows Explorer
- no Services
- no rich font support in system apps such as WordPad (why bundle Linotype Palatino when _nothing_ from Microsoft can get at that font's features)
- Taskbar nowhere near as nice or configurable or space efficient as the Mac OS X Dock (lessee, I have to have FireFox in my QuickLaunch toolbar to start it, but when it's running, it makes a button the Taskbar, but the button used to launch it is still around)
- pervasive .pdf support
- having to re-start the machine once a week or so 'cause it's gotten sluggish or the video driver has crashed
- no equivalents for utilities which I use frequently: FileWrangler, TeXshop, &c.
- FreeHand will not clear its splash screen when launched, so is unusable
- no pervasive, system-wide, always-able cross-application natural language scripting tool to replace AppleScript
- development tools not bundled w/ the OS, not as nice as Interface Builder and XCode
- need to install 3rd party X-Window support
- &c.

Work-arounds and fixes for the above would be welcome.

I've been using Windows since Windows/286, but it's never been as comfortable to me as NeXTstep --- Mac OS X is an adequate replacement, but I'd give a lot to have a vertical pop-up menu, tear off menus, top-level Print and Services menu, _no_ Carbon apps &c.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote