I've been using pen computers since the NCR-3125 and when using my current Fujitsu Stylistic have the following issues:
- lack of a Miller column browser view in Windows Explorer
- no Services
- no rich font support in system apps such as WordPad (why bundle Linotype Palatino when _nothing_ from Microsoft can get at that font's features)
- Taskbar nowhere near as nice or configurable or space efficient as the Mac OS X Dock (lessee, I have to have FireFox in my QuickLaunch toolbar to start it, but when it's running, it makes a button the Taskbar, but the button used to launch it is still around)
- pervasive .pdf support
- having to re-start the machine once a week or so 'cause it's gotten sluggish or the video driver has crashed
- no equivalents for utilities which I use frequently: FileWrangler, TeXshop, &c.
- FreeHand will not clear its splash screen when launched, so is unusable
- no pervasive, system-wide, always-able cross-application natural language scripting tool to replace AppleScript
- development tools not bundled w/ the OS, not as nice as Interface Builder and XCode
- need to install 3rd party X-Window support
Work-arounds and fixes for the above would be welcome.
I've been using Windows since Windows/286, but it's never been as comfortable to me as NeXTstep --- Mac OS X is an adequate replacement, but I'd give a lot to have a vertical pop-up menu, tear off menus, top-level Print and Services menu, _no_ Carbon apps &c.