View Single Post
Old 01-03-2010, 05:00 PM   #140
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by djgreedo View Post
There seems to be a lot of people saying they want a tablet...but I haven't seen a single post from anybody who owns one...

Tablet PCs have been around for years, and not many people use them. The reasons they are not popular are obvious - there are really no usage cases I can think of that a tablet covers that a laptop/netbook/PC/PDA/phone can't do equally well or better. A tablet is only slightly smaller/lighter than a laptop but with the same ratio of sizeower.

I find e-ink much better for reading. Touch screen computing is a terrible experience as soon as you need to type something. It's painful watching someone type on an iPhone. It's like watching someone struggling in slow motion. A tablet is too large to carry around casually (e.g. on the train), and if you're at home (or anywhere portability isn't an issue) surely a laptop or even a netbook would be more useful.

Why not just get one of those laptops with a swiveling lid that converts it to a tablet but also can be used as a laptop? Best of both worlds, and it wouldn't be much larger or heavier than a dedicated tablet.

That demo of Liquavista looks promising from a reading standpoint.

I think a future device might be able to include both screen types in two layers. E-ink for low power usage and reading text comfortably and in well-lit conditions, and an LCD (or OLED) for animations, colour illustrations, video, etc. That would be a multi-purpose device that I would leave a dedicated reader for.
I have an Advent 7" Mobile AutoPC, and while the form factor is about right, it is woefully under powered to be useful.

I attend a LOT of meetings in the course of a normal work week, and have many steno pads full of hand written notes. Needless to say, organizing those notes is nearly impossible. It is not practical, convenient nor socially acceptable to be typing on a netbook during a meeting. It is, however, acceptable and required to jot notes.

I tried using the Advent for that purpose, and it was just too slow. Waiting for the words to catch up with the stylus, and having page turns take tens of second just didn't work. It wasn't a total loss though, it showed me what I need. I just have to wait for technology to catch up.

I need a tablet that is adequately powered, wirelessly (WiFi or Bluetooth) connected, email capable, has some sort of pen based note taking ability, 7" or 5" form factor, adequate battery life for a work day, storage for hundreds of pages of notes, price point about where an netbook is, and oh by the way; if I could browse a little, read and occasional ebook, and watch a movie or two, that would be nice too.

I have been looking with interest at the Archos 5 32 GB Android. It looks like it has nearly everything I need, but I have not yet found a pen based note taking app for it. The Archos 9 runs Win7, and would work admirably with OneNote installed, but it's a little spendy, and somewhat too large/heavy.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote