Originally Posted by datgrrl
I'm having the same issue, I think. I connect my new Kindle 2 to the computer, and I can see the Kindle device but when I click on it in Windows Explorer (I'm using XP), the device is blank. I know I have some books on it that I bought via Amazon - why doesn't anything show up?
Try another USB port (sometimes that works). Also check the sort order of your books on the Kindle to make sure they are all viewable. From the Amazon help page
Setting Show and Sort Options
The Home screen allows you to choose the specific content type displayed. You can select a "Show" option to indicate what type of content you wish to see and then organize the listed content by selecting a "Sort" option.
To change how your content is organized on the Home Screen:
1. Move the 5-way up to the top of the screen to underline the current Show and Sort selections. By default, these are typically "Showing All Items" and "By Most Recent First."
2. Move the 5-way to the left to see the Show options or to the right to see the Sort options.
3. Select your desired Show or Sort option using the 5-way controller.
Here's a list of the Show options available.
Illustration of Show options for type of content displayed on Kindle.
* Personal Docs: Shows only the Personal Documents you have stored on your Kindle.
* Subscriptions: Shows only the periodicals and blogs you have stored on your Kindle.
* Books: Shows only the books and audiobooks you have stored on your Kindle.
* All My Items: Shows all of the content you have stored on your Kindle.
Here's a list of the Sort options available.
Illustration of options to sort content on Kindle Home.
* Most Recent First: Sorts your content by the most recently added or recently opened items first.
* Title: Sorts your content alphabetically by title of the item.
* Author: Sorts your content alphabetically by the author's last name or publisher's name. If you choose this option, periodicals will be sorted by their dates.
And, I downloaded a .mobi book onto my PC from Open Library which is supposedly open source, and when I try to move it onto the Kindle by dragging/dropping I get an error "Cannot copy fairytalesofbrot00grim: Cannot find the specified file. Make sure you specify the correct path and file name." I am able to move the file around to other PC folders, just not onto the Kindle.
Help! What am I doing wrong?
Where did you get the book? What is the file extension on it (.mobi, .prc., .azw, .pdf, or other)? Open Library says it doesn't actually carry any books.
Can Open Library help sell a book for me?
No, Open Library is not a book store. We actually don't have any physical or electronic books.