View Single Post
Old 12-20-2009, 11:11 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Would you buy a new device right now?

I am very happy with my Sony, however, lately, the Kindle has been tempting me. I heard you can finally get non-English dictionaries for it, which is something I couldn't have on my Sony. The 'read to me' feature also interests me, I use only 'liberated' books so the publishers restrictions on this feature would not affect me and I could use any book with it. All of my current books could be easily converted with Calibre and it would pretty much be business as usual for me, except that I could read French books and use the read to me feature. I also am interested in getting a newspaper wirelessly delivered to me every morning. And finally, my stepfather is interested in trying out an ebook reader, so I figure I may be able to tempt him with whichever reader (the Sony or the Kindle) I decide I no longer want to keep.

I know there is *always* something new coming out and the fear that you'll buy something and then something new will come out is never a reason not to enjoy a new technology. However, it does seem like we are at a bit of a tipping point right now as far as ebooks go, and six months from now, it really will be a whole other ballgame. If I got the Kindle and then they did announce an Apple Tablet---or something else I hadn't even thought of yet---or the price gets cut in half---I would be upset. This feels like more than just 'something better is always coming down the pipe.' It really feels like the industry is finally hitting a critical mass with the ebook genre, and it may be foolish to plunk down hard core funds prematurely.

As I said, I am all set up as far as books go, can continue buying where I am, in fact have advantages to do so because my liberated books will work with all the technology (dictionaries, read to me etc.) of the Kindle. But, except for not having those two features, the Sony really does meet my needs, otherwise. I am just going around in circles here about whether I should treat myself, because I really would use those features often and am a serious/prolific enough reader that I will enjoy it, or whether I should just be a little more patient for a litte while longer and see how things shake up...
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote