View Single Post
Old 12-19-2009, 11:18 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Brother SV-100B user manuals online

A few days ago I found the manuals for Brother's Document Viewer on their support site (here, here, and here). I checked with Customer Service, and the liseuse itself has not yet been released. I've gleaned the following information from the manuals. But without the device in hand I can't confirm that my interpretation is correct.

Interesting point #1
If you have certain models of Brother Multi Function Devices (printer/scanner/fax combos), you can plug the SV-100B into a USB port and print to it. I don't know yet which models.

Interesting point #2
The SV-100B requires that you run software on your computer. SV-Manager is needed to convert from "Word, Excel, Powerpoint, PDF, etc", and only runs on XP and Vista. But it also comes with a printer driver, which should make conversion easier.

Interesting point #3
The format read by the SV-100B is proprietary, but there is a good reason for that. SV-Manager allows (forces?) you to encrypt a file so it can only be read on a specific SV-100B. The encrypted file cannot be cross loaded to another liseuse or PC.

I know that most consumers won't care for that feature, but this isn't a consumer product. This is a business product and anyone who's handled document control will appreciate the ability.

Interesting point #4
Brother's file format supports bookmarks, but I can't tell if it also supports internal links or an external TOC. They're not mentioned, so I doubt it.

Interesting point #5
You can use Bluetooth to tether the SV-100B to another device so you can display files from the other device on the SV-100B. The exact method for this is not explained.

Interesting point #6
The SV-100B has already passed FCC, so it's legal to sell it in the US.

Interesting point #7
The SV-100B has an upper limit of 10k pages. I believe the limit is security related, but it's not entirely clear.

Interesting point #8
If the device specific encryption isn't enough security for you, there is a password protected folder on the SV-100B. The password is 4 digits, and if 3 wrong passwords are entered in a row the folder is locked down.

Interesting point #9
I found the specs:
  • Screen Size: 202.8mm x 139.4mm
  • Resolution: 1200 x 825
  • 4 Shade Gray Scale
  • Refresh rate: less than 1 second *1
  • microSD Card slot (2GB limit)
  • USB 2.0 High-Speed
  • Bluetooth® 2.0
  • Security 128 Bit AES (Advanced Encryption Standard)
  • Password lock function
  • Lithium Ion Battery (user repalceable)
  • Charging Time: approx. 3 hours (AC Adapter)/ approx. 5 hours (USB)
  • Max battery life: approx. 83 hours (5,000 page display)
  • Exterior Dimensions: 237 (W) x 247 (D) x 15.5 (H) mm
  • Weight: approx. 600g
  • Device life: display of 370,000 pages or 5 years
  • Compatible format: unique format
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote