My wife has had ths problem many times. It is frustrating beyond imagination. Like many of you have stated yourselves, she simply wants to download books and read. A device of this nature from a company like Sony should simply work without breaking everytime there is a new update.
Unfortunately, this is not the case. I am a seasoned programmer and own a web hosting company. Needless to say, I am an expert with computers and this problem has frustrated me! I can only imagine how frustrating this is to a non technical computer user that simply expects to download a book and read it. I feel your pain, so although I don't use a reader or read non technical books, I decided to join ths group to help you all avoid the frustration of this problem, including the wasted hours on the phone wih Sony's support.
I am sure many of you have come across the Windows DEP (Data Execution Prevention) fix. If you haven't, don't worry, you're about to learn.
To learn what DEP is, click here
. To learn how to control (enable or disable DEP) click here
For those that are familiar with the DEP fix, I'll save you time and you can avoid listening to my endless drivel. The fat and skinny is simple. You must do it again! That's right, when your Sony Library software is updated and stops working, you must add the new software to the DEP exclusion list. DEP is there for your protection and will not let the new software be excluded without your explicit permission, even if you already excluded the previous version. DEP checks the version!
It's that simple, add the new Sony sotware to the DEP exclusion list. (Note - I tried to remove the old software version and even though it appeared to be removed, after the reboot, it was back in the exclusion list. Don't worry about it!)
( Windows Vista )
note - you must be logged into your computer as an Administrator to make these changes
1) Click the START button
2) Right click COMPUTER
3) Click Properties
4) Click Advanced System Settings
5) Click the Advanced Tab if not already open to it
6) In the Performance section click Settings
7) Click the Data Execution Prevention tab
8) Ensure the radio button "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select" is selected. If not, select it.
If you already have eBook Library.exe in the exclusion list, you can select it and click the Remove button, however, for my wifes PC it came back after a reboot, but don't worry about it because it isn't important. What is important is that you add the new version of Sony Library software.
9) Click Add - which opens an OPEN dialog box
10) In the \Program Files\Sony\Reader folder, select Reader Library
11) Click Open - which adds it to the DEP list named Reader Library
12) Click Apply - which opens a dialog saying you must restart your machine for changes to take effect. Click OK
13) Click OK
14) Click OK
15) Close your MyCompter dialog box
Restart your computer.
This corrected my wifes issue and after the reboot she was immediately able to open the new Sony Library software (Version 3.1.00.12040), connect her e-Reader and begin downloading and reading books.
I'll try to come back and create a Windows XP Version of these instructions as soon as one of my techs that has the reader verifies it works on Windows XP.
explains how to manually make the changes in Windows XP. Here are the steps for those that (don't like to read...LOL) and just want the short cut. Technical stuff silly, I know you like to read!
( Windows XP )
1) Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
Note - If you don't have the Run feature on your start menu, you can enable it in the task bar settings or I believe you can right click the My Computer icon on your desktop, then click properties on the sub menu to get to the same place.
2) On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.
3) On the Data Execution Prevention tab, use one of the following procedures:
4) Click Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select to select the OptOut policy.
5) Click Add to add the programs (Reader Library) that you do not want to use the DEP feature.
6) Click OK two times.
I hope this helps.
David Kopacz, CTO