View Single Post
Old 12-17-2009, 11:07 AM   #7
Tom2112
Tablet eReader
Tom2112 can extract oil from cheeseTom2112 can extract oil from cheeseTom2112 can extract oil from cheeseTom2112 can extract oil from cheeseTom2112 can extract oil from cheeseTom2112 can extract oil from cheeseTom2112 can extract oil from cheeseTom2112 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 7, iPad, Dell Streak 7, Moto RAZR MAXX
Typical corporate BS. They're just mad that they somehow convinced people to pay more ($25 and up) for eBooks on other sites, but Amazon is selling them cheaper (which is one of the things Amazon tries to do as a rule - provide goods cheaper than the competition).

It is BS like this that pushes honest people into supporting piracy.

When they lie to your face and tell you ridiculous things like: "We can't make money when Amazon sells ebooks for $9.99!" Everyone knows they are full of crap! They sell paperbacks for $6.99 and $7.99. I know they're not losing money on them, or they wouldn't be doing it!

I don't care what their PR people say. You cannot convince me that the costs of publishing and distributing an ebook are anywhere near the cost of printing & distributing a physical book. I'm an IT professional. I know how much servers and bandwidth cost. I know how much techie staff to keep the servers and bandwidth working costs. I can tell you for certain that it costs a lot less to run a datacenter than it costs to run a physical distribution center and a printing mill.

I used to work in the printing industry. I saw what it takes to print a large quantity of materials. It's a LOT of money and equipment. The cost of ONE of those printing presses is more than 1/2 of what my whole datacenter cost - and our datacenter supports over 100 physical locations and over 50,000 users - with a tech staff of nine people. How many people does it take to run a print shop? A lot more than nine.

These publishers are crying wolf. I say call them on it. They have a choice: get on board with the new technology or get left behind. They're doing a pretty good job of showing they want to be left behind. How long will it take for an upstart techie-based publisher to take over their business?
Tom2112 is offline   Reply With Quote