View Single Post
Old 12-15-2009, 07:57 PM   #8
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Yes... but

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
B&N (not necessarily FictionWise, but the B&N ebookstore) is migrating exclusively to ePub using "password" DRM (similar DRM to eReader, but for ePub). Adobe controls this DRM, and what they say (Customer FAQ: Adobe and Barnes & Noble) is:

So, when 6charlong asks "Will Astak update their line so they can read both Adept and B&N DRMed ePub books?" this is equivalent to "Will Astak update their line to support password-based ePub DRM from Adobe". The point is that Adobe has committed to providing the capability, but it is up to its licensees (like Astak, Jinke and Netronix) to implement the new features of the Reader Mobile SDK on theie devices.

I don't think there is much concern about password-DRM for new device types, this seems almost automatic, so what 6charlong is asking about is existing devices.

Note that B&N is already providing password-protected ePubs for the Nook and for its Reader apps (Windows PCs, Macs, iPhone). These ePubs are already guaranteed to work on any mobile ADE device that support password-DRM. We just need the capability implemented. However, when the FAQ said "later in 2009" I assume Adobe now means early on 2010, i.e. like most software it is probably running late.
Dear Wallcraft:

You cannot port (implement the new features) until you get an SDK for Linux devices. This has been 1 year in the making so far and no sign it is ready to ship. You also need to sign a contract and that contract is about 45 pages of legal language that even Fictionwise cannot interpret or translate. Plus, if it is "exclusive" we would have to dump ADE (which we will not do). It is not as simple as you say, my friend, with all respect to you!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote