View Single Post
Old 12-15-2009, 07:09 PM   #3
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
A very old question still valid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
I'm hoping RobertB can answer this because if he can't, no one can!

Barnes and Noble is about to start publishing ePub books using a new (old?) DRM system previously used with eReader format. It uses your name and credit card number to unlock the DRM on a secure eBook on the assumption that no one will want to share those two pieces of information in order to give away a book. I think that's a reasonable assumption.

Question: Will Astak update their line so they can read both Adept and B&N DRMed ePub books?

I like having the choice of formats and sources that the Pocket Pro gives me but I especially like the eReader DRM scheme because it's the least intrusive. Hoping for an answer, even if it's in the form of "too soon to know."
Dear 6 charlong:

If I had a nickle for each time I have answered this I could buy my own island. (HA)

We have been trying to get Fictionwise to allow us to carry their eReader DRM format on our device for a year. It was simple until Barnes& Noble purchased Fictionwise. Since then it has been all legaleeze. Getting a contract took months and getting clarification takes more months.

There is talk in the contract of "exclusivity" and that means we cannot do it. IF they remove this demand we are good to go. But... nothing is simple with B&N.

There is word that the B&N library WILL be available to Adobe Digital Editions users in the summer of 2010. But, getting clarification of this seems to take months.

In short, negotiations are continuing!! The problem is not that we do not want it or have a problem in paying. The problem is that they cannot seem to understand their own contract in order to amend it. We LOVE Fictionwise but dealing now is very complex.

Last edited by Robertb; 12-15-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote