View Single Post
Old 05-07-2007, 11:32 AM   #38
GKL
GKL began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I am a professional librarian. I just discovered this site late last week after receiving my Sony Reader. Before you all get to far along on this project, I would like to propose some suggestions that may make your efforts of greater value. In preparing the books, why not include the Library of Congress information, at least in listing the title and author. For example, this is the full record for Don Quixote:

LC Control No.: 10002921
Type of Material: Book (Print, Microform, Electronic, etc.)
Personal Name: Cervantes Saavedra, Miguel de, 1547-1616.
Uniform Title: Don Quixote. English. Part 1
Main Title: The first part of the delightful history of the most ingenious knight Don Quixote of the Mancha / by Miguel de Cervantes ; translated by Thomas Shelton ; with introductions and notes.
Published/Created: New York P. F. Collier, c1909.
Related Names: Shelton, Thomas, fl. 1612.
Related Titles: Don Quixote.
Description: 545 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
Notes: On spine: Don Quixote, part 1.
Series: Harvard classics ; no. 14
LC Classification: PQ6329 .A2 1909
LC Copy: AC1 .A4 Copy 2.
Other System No.: (OCoLC)4247445

I specifically chose this record because it refers to the edition found in the Harvard Classics. Note, the uniform title is "Don Quixote. English. Part 1" and the author is Cervantes Saavedra, Miguel de. Using a uniform system will add only a few moments if it is done at the time the ebook is created. If it is decided to do this later, it will be a Herculean task if thousands of books are otherwise completed.

You might want to have a page near the beginning that is simply a copy of the LC full record.

I would also give an indication near the beginning (after the title page and before the text) which acknowledges the source of the e-text (e.g., "lrf version created from The Project Gutenberg EBook of The History of Don Quixote, Vol. I., Part 1.
by Miguel de Cervantes available at http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/5903" followed by the bibliographic record from Project Gutenberg, in this case:

"Bibliographic Record [help] Creator Cervantes Saavedra, Miguel de, 1547-1616
Illustrator Doré, Gustave, 1832-1883
Translator Ormsby, John, 1829-1895
Title The History of Don Quixote, Volume 1, Part 01
Note Illustrated.
Language English
LoC Class PQ: Language and Literatures: Romance literatures: French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
EText-No. 5903
Release Date 2004-07-27
Copyright Status Not copyrighted in the United States. If you live elsewhere check the laws of your country before downloading this ebook."

Your efforts will be of more universal value if this information is included and may make it easier for libraries to include records of your collection (including links to it) in their online catalogs, making it more readily findable and accessible to a much broader audience.
GKL is offline   Reply With Quote