View Single Post
Old 12-05-2009, 01:16 PM   #11
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
OK I just grabbed my camera and decided to take a few more quick snaps with my reader.

One consideration that must be made on occasion is how bright the ambient lighting is, and what kind of surfaces are being reflected on the screen. To give an idea of how this affects viewing, I took one photograph with a white reflected surface, and one with a black reflected surface. With the white reflected surface, the brightness of the background goes up, but the black point suffers and gives the impression of weak or even blurry text. With light overcast skies, reading outdoors may show this kind of effect. With the black reflected surface, the black point is much more readable, but the overall background brightness goes down. This is mitigated if the ambient light is plentiful.

I just want to make a point to photo geeks/snobs that these aren't studio photos or even high quality photos, just informal snaps taken with a cheap digital camera (evidenced by corner/edge degradation, so ignore the edges of the photos). I tried to keep the metering and white balance within reasonable tolerance, but they're far from good.

Addendum: Oh and also, the e-ink background is ~80% the brightness of the paperback paper in the white reflection pic, and ~65% in the black reflection pic. Not too surprising I guess, but I thought I'd throw those numbers out there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	whitebg2.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	40765   Click image for larger version

Name:	blackbg2.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	40766  

Last edited by LDBoblo; 12-05-2009 at 03:35 PM. Reason: More useful crops
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote