View Single Post
Old 05-12-2004, 03:02 PM   #13
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
Formatting is obviously an important aspect of any printed book. Because of their screen size and appearance, PDA's often cannot in my opinion successfully replace printed texts: I am currently slogging my way through "Bleak House" on my T3 and I cannot take it in the way I did the print version many years ago: Dickens' long paragraphs lose their thrust and continuity on a PDA screen. I tried reading both Proust and Joyce on my T3 and gave up: I think that, were the authors alive today, they would lay out their texts differently to accomodate this new medium.

I find current news and straightforward fiction - mysteries and thrillers, for example - easiest to read on a PDA.

I am bewildered by those who carry a 100 books on their handhelds. What on earth for? Are we preparing for some calamity where, in case we are stranded for a long period of time away from our libraries, we will have the library with us, just in case? It's like some of my friends who, like me, own 20-40gig iPods, and who carry 100's of hours of music around: when will they listen to it?

Philippe Radley
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote