View Single Post
Old 12-03-2009, 10:22 AM   #1
PortiaDaCosta
PortiaDaCosta began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Question Totaly new to e-readers - question about PRS-505 screen contrast/brightness

Hi!

I just got my first ever ebook reader yesterday [apart from my Palm T3] a Sony PRS-505, bought second hand, but never used, from Ebay.

As I've never even seen an ebook reader in the flesh before, I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was surprised and a little dismayed by the display. I knew that e-ink was dark grey on very light grey, but the background seems much, much greyer than expected and the contrast and brightness seem very poor.

I'm wondering if I've bought a dud one, or whether this is just how they are, taking into account that the lighting isn't marvellous in here [dull winter afternoon, window across the room, small bedside lamp on to my left]. Also, am used to staring at a fairly bright computer screen all day, and my Palm T3 is a bright screen. I've heard the e-ink screens compared to a well-aged book in brightness, contrast, but mine seems dimmer than that. It's certainly nowhere near as bright and clear as the pictures in the advertisements show them to be, but hey, that's advertising and often things don't look how they look in adverts!

Anyway, here's a link to a picture of the thing. It's taken without flash, and it's sitting on the window sill, but it's a dull day.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...a/DSC00073.jpg

Could anyone tell me if they think this looks duller than it should do? I know it's hard to tell though, from a photo...

If it is how it should be, well, that's that, and I'll have to try a book light or the lighted cover. If it isn't, I suppose I'll have to see if I can get it repaired, although obviously, it's not under guarantee.

Many, many thanks in advance for your help.

ps. are there any other ereaders that are known for having appreciably brighter displays?
PortiaDaCosta is offline   Reply With Quote