View Single Post
Old 05-03-2007, 02:46 AM   #2
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1/REB 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbesdawg
The problem of course here is two fold:

1: Gemstar is out of business. No more books. *sigh*
Well, not really. If you migrate your ebook, you can buy books from eBookWise. Admittedly, they may not have a wide range of ebooks, but I don't think that anyone really has that (unless Amazon comes out with the Kindle, of course).

Quote:
2: I want to get a new ebook, but I need similar features. My biggest priorities are a good, readable screen, and most important of all, it MUST be backlit. This is to allow me to read at night after wifey has gone to bed.

So the question is, of the current ebooks out there, what ones are large screen, backlit, and come from a quality company.

Look wise, I am totally taken by the Hanlin eReader, but I canít tell from what Iíve read if it is back lit or not.

Also, having the capability to read PDF is another very high on my list. There are certain titles I have that are public domain so I can update them to an ebook that excepts TXT or PDF, but more importantly a few of our favorite authors (ok 1 in particular) has all her books on PDF format.

So please advice away! And glad to be here.
All of the eInk readers are not back lit, you will have to use an external light source for reading.

Also, you can read PDFs on your ebook using PDFRead -- I created the tool for the very same reason, reading PDFs on my 1100 (see mobileread thread). I personally am going to wait till eInk becomes more widespread with falling prices and greater reliability.

I would suggest that you try the above ideas and see if they suit you. If it ain't broke, don't fix it
ashkulz is offline   Reply With Quote