View Single Post
Old 11-30-2009, 01:47 AM   #9
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
Instead of providing access to this material they are trying to be the gatekeeper to cultural treasures, and trying to find ways to enrich themselves even at the expense of restricting the publics access to the material they are supposed to preserve.... It really pisses me off to see governments, public museums, and public libraries doing it.
Erm.... I seriously doubt this is a profit center for UVA, and museums are non-profits that lose money on a regular basis. Plus, many government institutions don't charge at all, e.g. the British Museum, and almost all the Smithsonian museums, have free admission.

Scholarship, preservation of the original materials, digitization, and providing electronic access isn't free, and it doesn't cost a university or government institution any less to do it than a private individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi
When a public entity has a work in the public domain and prevents access to that work then I view it as theft. I hope I'm not being overly dramatic, but this really does piss me off.
Yes, you're being "overly dramatic." They might not have a case for copyright (but they might, again I'm not familiar with copyright laws as it pertains to unpublished but edited works, or what exactly they are copyrighting), but they certainly have the right to manage and charge for access.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote