Thread: Validate ePub
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2009, 04:22 PM   #8
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
epub validation

FWIW,
For validation I use epubcheck-1.0.5.jar (which you can download from the source tree and build yourself). Being java it will run on almost every platform (I have tried it on Mac's Linux, and Windows and it works) and an interface via pipes to invoke it and collect its stderr and stdout would be a wonderful thing to have in Sigil.

In fact, the ability to invoke any command line program and pipe in input and back in stderr and stdout would make for a very simply but wonderfully useful "plugin-like" capability for Sigil without having the hassle of implementing a full C++ to python or perl "bridge".

You could maybe have an OpenOffice.org style helper application interface where users specify the command and argument and OOo assigned a menu or key sequence that invokes it and allows for requesting and passing arguments to and from it.

If that existed, I would love to be able to use some python and perl scripts with Sigil. Right now, I know of 2 really good pml to html converters (one in perl and one in python) that could be integrated as plugins to support reading in pml files and outputting epub files by invoking a command line and reading in the resulting html into Sigil.

Is there any kind of "helper application", "extension" or "plugin-like" capability in Sigil right now or any planned?

Thanks,

KevinH
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote