View Single Post
Old 11-25-2009, 11:37 AM   #1
radius
Lector minore
radius trips the light fantastic.radius trips the light fantastic.radius trips the light fantastic.radius trips the light fantastic.radius trips the light fantastic.radius trips the light fantastic.radius trips the light fantastic.radius trips the light fantastic.radius trips the light fantastic.radius trips the light fantastic.radius trips the light fantastic.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Amazon Kindle PaperWhite 2, Sony PRS-505
Lewis, Sinclair: It Can't Happen Here. v1.0. 2009-11-25

My first posted book

I read recently that the television series V was originally based on this novel by Mr. Lewis, but apparently, the television execs wanted to "sex up" the story by having lizard-aliens infiltrate government instead of normal people. This led me to look for the book, and to find that it was hosted by Project Gutenberg Australia, and not yet posted to MobileRead.

I have kept the text intact, as-is from PGA, but reformatted to fit e-reader screens better. I have also added a cover image (which is apparently in the public domain) from the Wikipedia article on this book.

Excerpt:
Doremus tried to explain himself to these hard-eyed, quick-glancing plotters of ruin.

"Are you willing to become a Party member, in the extremely improbable case that they accept you, and to take orders, any orders, without question?" asked Elphrey, so suavely.

"Do you mean, Am I willing to kill and steal?"

"You've been reading detective stories about the 'Reds'! No. What you'd have to do would be much more difficult than the amusement of using a tommy-gun. Would you be willing to forget you ever were a respectable newspaper editor, giving orders, and walk through the snow, dressed like a bum, to distribute seditious pamphlets--even if, personally, you should believe the pamphlets were of no slightest damn good to the Cause?"

"Why, I--I don't know. Seems to me that as a newspaperman of quite a little training--"

"Hell! Our only trouble is keeping out the 'trained newspapermen'! What we need is trained bill-posters that like the smell of flour paste and hate sleeping. And--but you're a little old for this--crazy fanatics that go out and start strikes, knowing they'll get beaten up and thrown in the bull pen."
This work is in the Canadian public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. It may still be under copyright in some countries. If you live outside Canada, check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub It Can't Happen Here - Sinclair Lewis.epub (396.3 KB, 632 views)
radius is offline   Reply With Quote