Originally Posted by demongr
How can I organise my books in Calibre by authur (author :-) so as I add new books they will be filled in order under the same author.
The short answer is RTFM
, the long answer is . . .
In the Search & Sort section
of the on-line Calibre User Manual
The Search & Sort section allows you to perform several powerful actions on your book collections.
- You can sort them by title, author, date, rating etc. by clicking on the column titles.
- You can search for a particular book or set of books using the search bar. More on that below.
- You can quickly and conveniently edit metadata by double-clicking the entry you want changed in the list.
- You can perform Actions on sets to books. To select multiple books you can either:
- Keep the Ctrl key pressed and click on the books you want selected.
- Keep the Shift key pressed and click on the starting and ending book of arange of books you want selected.
- You can configure which fields you want displayed by using the Configuration dialog.
In other words, the main book view list view works like most list view controls in windows that sort on the column that you click in ascending order if not sorted by that column, or toggles between ascending/descending order if already sorted on that column.
Now having said that there is an error in the program that makes this not work as desired when adding new books, basically a missing refresh.
Let's take your typical scenerio:
- Sort by author (ascending)
- Add one or more new ebooks to the library
Your new books are now at the beginning of the list even though you are sorting using the author column (as if the sorting was deactivated).
- Click on the author column twice.
This sorts in descending and then ascending order and now you see your books as you want them.
The following Calibre bug tickets
are currently open:
Ticket Summary Status Type Priority Milestone Component
#1663 PRS 505 Sorting by Author new enhancement major Graphical User Interface
#46 Access to sort key meta-data accepted enhancement minor Graphical User Interface
#424 Author sort on prs 505 new defect minor Graphical User Interface
#755 Metadata - "Title (sort)" new enhancement minor Graphical User Interface
#1107 Tag count an sorting options new enhancement minor Graphical User Interface
#1320 Sort list new enhancement minor Graphical User Interface
#2123 Updates to collections not sorted properly new defect minor Graphical User Interface
#2304 Provide a method to sort collection members new enhancement minor SONY PRS driver
#2421 tags and series : case sensitive sort / cleanup new enhancement minor Graphical User Interface
#3072 Sorting by date new enhancement minor Graphical User Interface
#3174 Make the list of "non-sortable" words configurable new enhancement minor Graphical User Interface
#3357 Author Sort new enhancement minor SONY PRS driver
#3386 Store more than one default sorting field new enhancement minor Graphical User Interface
#3651 Optional Author Sort new enhancement trivial Graphical User Interface
P.S: Posted a new ticket about this and the status is now "Won't Fix".
Ticket #4082 (closed defect: wontfix)
Opened 97 minutes ago
Last modified 69 minutes ago
Added books do not appear in the proper sort order
Reported by: rhmorrison Owned by: kovidgoyal
Priority: minor Milestone:
Component: Graphical User Interface Version: trunk
I have my list sorted by Author (ascending) and then add one (or more) ebooks to my library.
The just added ebooks appear at the beginning of the list and NOT in the proper sort order.
It is necessary to click on the author column twice in order to get the list to display as it should have automatically after the add.
I assume this is just a missing update after the add operation.
Changed 69 minutes ago by kovidgoyal ¶
* status changed from new to closed
* resolution set to wontfix
No, it's intentional, to allow you to find your newly added books quickly.
Add/Change #4082 (Added books do not appear in the proper sort order)