View Single Post
Old 11-24-2009, 07:03 PM   #52
danegeld
Enthusiast
danegeld is on a distinguished road
 
Posts: 27
Karma: 52
Join Date: Mar 2009
Device: Sony PRS-700
I'm not sure how I missed this post or the Wiki, but I did. Now that I've read them, there's something I'd like to offer as a correction or alternative to using German as the book language to correct accented/missing characters and ligatures. The problem isn't the language, but the encoding. BD is Russian software and as such, it defaults to Cyrillic for the encoding. For English books, if you change the encoding to Western European (Windows) or Western European (ANSI) all of those problems go away if you're using a font that has all the necessary glyphs.

This was obvious to me after the first couple of books I made with BD had Cyrillic characters in them. Knowing some Russian and having been a web developer for way too long, it was an easy thing to fix, but I can see where it wouldn't be apparent to most people. Now the first thing I do when I import a book is change the encoding. I'd love to be able to find a way to permanently set Western European as the default encoding, but Cyrillic seems to be hardcoded into BD and each new file will revert to it, so it has to be reset for every book.
danegeld is offline   Reply With Quote