View Single Post
Old 04-05-2004, 05:13 PM   #3
Paranoid
Paranoid began at the beginning.

Device: None
Sure I agree on the open source. Probebly I didn't stress that enough in my post.
It's just that what I tested sofar the opensource is often slower and to low on features.
--------------
DES. Sure I would go for 192/168 bit 3DES
DES is very fast in hardware. It was originally designed as an hardware based cipher.
AFAIK DES has never been broken by cryptoanalysis. And only the 40/56 bit versions are bruteforced. So looking at pure time to bruteforce 3DES is extremely secure.
Anyway the 3DES chips I know do 1.6Gbit/s.
Altough according to NIST it does only EBC. Some see that as a major drawback.
Surely CBC is more secure. But I think CBC is impossible (no matter what cipher) when using as full HD encryption. Firstly the hardware doesnt know about files because it just encrypts datastreams. Secondly suppose you need a block at the end of a 200GB HD. It would mean you should decrypt 200GB to get the 'key' for the last block.
But I must admit if I had the chance I would go for AES or Twofish...

Abit SecureIDE is only 40bit DES iirc. With an Enova chip
http://www.enovatech.com/w/index.html
or
http://www.enovatek.com.tw/index.htm

C3 is very fast but I can't find an end user solution for it.

=============================
(wireless) networking
Encryption should be very fast. Otherwise 'the user' could be tempted to bypass it.
Offloading the calculations to another box would be a good start.
I never had a network neither did I used BSD. So a few questions.
a] Say I install BSD with the encryption package of your choice. What kind of speed I can expect? I think 30-40MB/s is needed for decent performance.
b] Is there something to choose from on BSD. I've seen alot on Linux and Windows but nothing on the DevilOS
c] I think wireless is very slow and not near 30MB/s
d] Whats the latency on a (wireless) network.
I use some heavy. For example an app that does do a *lot* of database access.
Paranoid is offline   Reply With Quote