View Single Post
Old 11-13-2009, 04:57 PM   #9
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Well, I got the 505 yesterday, and it's all loaded up and ready to go. I also bought the cover with the lightwedge in it, and I have to say that it's all I had thought it would be, such a huge improvement over the other Sony readers I've seen, both older and newer, that I'm amazed that Sony didn't simply build on the 505 to put in more storage and a faster processor but keep the screen.

The cover with the lightwedge is much better illumination-wise than the side-lights in the 700, and since it uses it's own AAA batteries it doesn't impact the battery life of the 505 at all.

I had thought I might take advantage of the 700s note-taking and searching capabilities but I never really used them, so I don't miss them on the 505. And I never read PDFs, since I'm only reading fiction, so the poorer PDF capabilities of the 505 don't bother me.

Interestingly enough, though, the latest update patch I could find at the Sony web-site would have updated the 505 to version 1.1.00.18040, but my 505 came with version 1.2.00.18050 installed. I wonder why there wasn't an update patch to that version at the Sony site. . .

Anyway, I'm back in reader heaven again!
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote