Thread: iLiad Question to Adam. B
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2007, 04:52 AM   #17
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica has learned how to read e-booksAntartica has learned how to read e-booksAntartica has learned how to read e-booksAntartica has learned how to read e-booksAntartica has learned how to read e-booksAntartica has learned how to read e-booksAntartica has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad, onhandpc, newton, zaurus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B.
I can include dillo, mrxvt, keyboard driver, etc if the dev's don't mind.
Of course you can do whatever you want to the dillo port ;-).

Having more easily installable programs for the average user is always a plus.

BUT having dependencies means that the user will have to track them, and I'm not so sure if this is desirable.

The only way I think this could work (without having a package manager to track dependencies), is to have every program have all the needed dependencies and making the install script deletes the duplicated ones.

One way to do it would be:

1) Install the program in a subdirectory for himself
2) check if some of it files are in the common directory, and if so, delete them and for each file deleted (say foobar.so), add to a file in the common directory (say foobar.so.depinfo) the name of the app that's is using it (for example Dillo).
3) check if some of the files are in the private directories of the other programs, and if they are, copy them (for example foobar.so) to the shared directory and add to the depinfo (for example foobar.so.depinfo) both apps names. And delete the original versions from the original directories.

It would be interesting to leave in the original places a 0-size file with the name foobar.so.moved, so a script can be done to track those files and regenerate the installation file from the live filesystem (I say this because when I pack a new version of dillo, I just pack the one I've tested in my iliad, and it's very useful to be able to do so).

What do you think about it?

EDIT: I can make the scripts if you want to give it a try.

Last edited by Antartica; 04-18-2007 at 04:56 AM. Reason: add "Edit"
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote