Thread: Cheap Old Palms
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2007, 10:20 PM   #17
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Old monochrome Palms are still good e-readers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ischeriad
From my own experience with Palm powered devices (IIIxe, m500, Clié SL-10) I would recommend a monochrome device (I never had a color one, avoided them till now ), they have a good battery life (I get about 8-12 hours reading time, depending on the battery set) and are quite cheap at eBay. If the device uses replaceble batteries, you can put in a spare set of rechargeables (or alkalines) and extend the runtime on the road, but there is a small chance of memory loss...
The backlight is ok to read in the dark.
I agree. The monochrome Palms have a big advantage over the newer power-sucking color Palms. The older ones use two AAA batteries that can be purchased anywhere in the world. My batteries usually lasted a month. Just try charging your color Palm while you are on a train in China!

Screen size is an issue you might be concerned with. The older Palms with the original screen size were very usable. I think the line length using a normal font was 40 characters. Of course you can use a larger font if you need to. I didn't need to unless the lighting was poor. Some of the newer Palms have a slightly smaller screen. I have a TRGpro with the larger screen. The Palm III and others of that era had the same size screen. I also have a M125. That class of Palm has a smaller screen. If you are going to get an older Palm you would do well to consider this.

The first Palms had good backlighting. Then they changed the backlighting to a reversed scheme. I didn't like it. I never use it. There is a hack that will reverse it again. I haven't tried it but others report success with it.

The ideal would be to get a Palm that has the larger mono screen and also takes some sort of memory card. The TRGpro uses Compact Flash. That way you can just connect a card reader to your Mac and put ebooks on it through the card. It is faster anyway.

Here is a table that will show you what to look for. It indicates screen size and connection method and memory expansion type for all of the older Palm models. I hope you find something you can enjoy.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote