View Single Post
Old 04-12-2007, 02:45 PM   #13
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STGR
I worked in the semiconductor industry for about 5 years, for a company that makes the machines that makes microchips (Applied Materials, if anyone's interested). I don't think that really gives me any insight into the cost structure of making this sort of thing, but I have do some notion of the complexity involved (which does drive the cost somewhat, I s'pose). I say that to give you a bit of context for this statement:

The complexity of making a few short lines worth of 7-segment display drivers, versus individually controlling 480,000 pixels on a display the size of the Reader's (remember, smaller means more complex, all by itself) is more on the order of a geometric increase in complexity.

Also speaking from the knowledge (it's come up a few times around here) that 6" pixelized e-ink display panels alone wholesales for around $100 per unit ....

In light of all those details, I have no problem at all accepting the notion that the Reader's display, and it's much greater complexity and functionality are a very large part of the reason that it retails for so much more than the Motofone. I'm quite sure that Sony is making a typical profit on it, but that's usually a percentage mark-up over per unit production cost.

You can each, of course, take all of that salted to taste.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote