View Single Post
Old 04-10-2007, 06:06 PM   #9
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Nutshell version (as best I understand it) is that they got sued by the copyright holders of the Doc Savage stories (apparently BM disputed whether the material was still under copyright, if I understood things correctly) and ended up ordered shut down until they could prove that they wouldn't ever distribute the material again (which is, of course, impossible, but that didn't seem to matter to the judge), and is no more. A lot of the material (sans Doc Savage, most obviously) is available at Silk Pagoda.

Someone please correct/elaborate anywhere I'm off.
I posted a while ago the summary of the legal decision against Blackmask. Blackmask lost in court against Conde Nast and that's that. Now I understand that Guttenberg Australia may have Doc Savage available legally at least for non US residents since there the copyright is just 50 years. The "new" Blackmask is called Munseys and is here:

http://www.munseys.com/

For the court decision see this link (click on any Doc Savage books):

http://gutenberg.cc/Black_Mask/pulpfiction.htm#0_0_3

"The eBook you are looking for has been removed because the source of the eBook, Blackmask Online, provided the eBook in violation of the rights of the copyright owner, The Conde Nast Publications.

In recent litigation between Conde Nast and Blackmask Online, the United States District Court for the District of Maryland ruled that the books are protected by copyright and may not be reproduced or distributed without Conde Nast's permission.

A copy of the Court's decision is available at Advance Magazine Publishers Inc. v. Leach, 466 F.Supp.2d 628 (D. Md. 2006)"
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote