View Single Post
Old 11-01-2009, 01:14 AM   #65
scveteran
Groupie
scveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
No no. We aren't arguing the rightness or wrongness of unlimited lending.

We're arguing the wording BN used in their release. Big difference.
I really don't think that we are arguing the wording so much as what people wanted when they saw that. You even said you thought you could lend like a library. I just think we all have lived with electronic media for too long to have that as a reasonable expectation.

I just think that anyone who saw that would or should know that the system will allow you to make lending an ebook possible but it would have major restrictions on it. There has been far too many stories in the news about people being sued for sharing copyrighted material that we all should know that this will partly be at the mercy of the author regardless of whether the system supports it or not.

Further, while the Nook is not super expensive, it costs enough that most adults would read through the fine print on what can and can not be done with the device. From what I see here, pretty much everyone knew that it would limit the loans before buying. The peope here in this thread found out from the B&N site that there were limits. So again how is that not providing the information.

Lastly, I don't remember ever seeing a product advertised that starts out mentioning the limits on a feature. They mention the feature, then the fine print gives you all the details.
scveteran is offline   Reply With Quote