View Single Post
Old 10-09-2009, 09:05 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HDX 8.9, AuraHD, Nook HD+, Kindle 2,3,T , Opus, Nexus7, iPhone5, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post
Not really, it seems to be the same thing, from the Guardian's quotes -- $9.99 list price plus $1.99 fee, plus 15% VAT, equals approximately $13.75. I don't know where the extra $0.24 is going, but it doesn't seem to match the higher list prices Amazon is throwing up in their own defence. Moreover, if it was just additional VAT being charged rather than this questionable fee, we'd end up with total prices around $11.50.

I think $9.99 is already ridiculously high for an ebook, but I'd say $11.50 is less of a kick in the teeth than $13.99.
Yes, but UK publishers also charge more for their books in general than US ones (print and electronic). I don't see how that can't be part of the extra cost (again I know that's not the case in your specific case).

An example I posted elsewhere Audrey Niffenegger's new book Her Fearful Symmetry...

US ebook list price $26.99 (approx 17.02)
UK ebook list price 21.84 (approx $34.63)

It would seem to me that the obvious difference in asking price has to be made up somewhere even if Amazon does heavily discount.

Quote:
It was general Amazon support. God knows I tried, but I couldn't find any Kindle-specific contact information on their help pages.
When I had to contact them (as a Kindle customer) I went through this page...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200212360

They also have some support forums for DTP.
http://forums.digitaltextplatform.co...ums/index.jspa

I assume they have another support email for DTP for publishers, but I have no idea where that would be found.

Oh, and I'd love to see prices come down worldwide.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 10-09-2009 at 09:08 PM.
AnemicOak is online now   Reply With Quote